In the South West
Are you on the lookout for an Accountancy Job in the South West?
We only recruit for Accountants – the Accountancy Recruitment specialists.
Are you searching for an Accountancy Job or Career in the South West?
Or are you an Accountancy Practice with an Accountancy role to fill?
Each year we match hundreds of accountants with the perfect job in accounts in the South West.
We’re the Accountancy Recruitment Agency for the South West – specialist recruiters in both permanent accounts jobs and interim accounts jobs throughout the South West.
Looking for your next career move in Accountancy?
Looking to fill an Accountancy role?
Accountancy in the South West
The South West of England is an excellent choice for your new job in accountancy
Consisting of nine counties, the business hub of the South West lies in Bristol with its excellent road and rail connections to London and the remainder of the UK. The area as a whole benefits from busy aeronautics, tourism, agriculture and informational technology industries making it a reliable option for thriving businesses.
The region has become home to many exceptional dining, shopping and cultural venues and at-tractions for families are plentiful. The festival town of Cheltenham lies to the North and the coastal counties of Cornwall and Devon provide a wonderful way of life in the south.
With two national parks within its boundaries the South West offers some stunning landscape to be explored and unrivalled countryside.
International travel is possible via three airports and travel by rail and car is easy due to great motorway and train connections.
Those who enjoy sport will be spoiled for choice with a full range of options, the highlights being horse racing, water-sports and rugby.
Accountancy jobs in the South West offer a wonderful opportunity to discerning candidates for a true work life balance.
Why is Public Practice Recruitment Ltd the go-to recruiter for so many firms for Accountant Jobs in the South West?
- We’re specialist recruiters. Our niche is to work only for Accountancy Practices. Each year, we’re successful in supporting hundreds of accountants to find new accountancy jobs in the South West.
- There are thousands of Accountant Practices all over the South West who work with Public Practice Recruitment Ltd. These Practices value our extraordinary ability to recruit the very best accountants for South West accountancy practices.
- We have both experience and know-how – 15 years of dedication to specialist recruiting for hundreds of South West UK accountants.
- Our enviable track record of achieving successful appointments is a measure of our commitment to providing accountants with the best possible support in attaining their career ambitions.
- The keys to our success are our efficiency and diligence. Our focused approach gives us every chance of matching the right accountancy skills with the right accountancy job at the right accountancy practice.
- Are you an accountant? Then we’ll use all our skill and know-how to help you achieve your long-term career goals.
- Are you an accountancy firm? We work with:
- Almost all of the UK’s top 100 firms of accountants
- the major regional accountancy practices
- the key sole office accountancy firms
- many vibrant start-up accountancy firms across the country
- We have many brilliant success stories of auditors we’ve helped to relocate – sometimes to the most rural parts of the UK, including Cornwall, The Highlands and Cumbria to name but a few.
Latest Accountancy Jobs
RI PartnerThis leading accountancy firm is looking for an RI Partner to join their team in Darlington. Joining as a key player within the firm you will work across a diverse portfolio of clients and support with business growth. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA, ACCA or CA qualified. You’ll also already have extensive external audit experience, as well as excellent analytical and people management skills.Darlingoton
Audit SeniorAre you an Audit Semi Senior seeking career progression or an established Audit Senior seeking your next role with a well-established accountancy firm? Are you looking to work for a firm of accountants that will view your technical proficiency within audit as invaluable and reward your hard work? If so, this Audit Senior role within a multi-office, regional firm in Durham could be for you. You’ll be ACCA, CA or ACA qualified or part-qualified and have a minimum of two years of accountancy practice experience working in an audit role.Durham
Tax ManagerThis leading accountancy firm is looking for a Tax Manager to join their team in Cheshire. You will support an allocated client portfolio ensuring quality in accordance with Tax Standards, delivering in line with budgetary expectations. Our client is offering the successful candidate a full development programme, as well as ample room for progression and learning. They also provide formal coaching and fully funded CPD courses. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA/ACCA/CA or & CTA qualified. You’ll already have experience of working within an accountancy practice, as well as demonstrable people management skills.Cheshire
Tax SeniorThis leading accountancy firm is looking for an outstanding Tax Senior to join their exceptional team in Shrewsbury. You will manage an allocated client portfolio ensuring quality in accordance with Tax Standards, delivering in line with budgetary expectations. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA/ACCA/CA or CTA qualified. You’ll already have experience of working within an accountancy practice in a tax-based role, as well as excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.Shrewsbury
Senior AccountantThis leading accountancy firm is looking for a Senior Accountant to join their team in Stafford. You will manage a portfolio of clients, dealing directly with them, and see these through to completion of year end accounts. This is a great stepping-stone role prior to a Senior Client Manager/Partner Designate role, as the client will provide full career development and support. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA/ACCA or QBE qualified. You’ll also already have experience of working within an accountancy practice in a client facing role. You’ll be able to hit the ground running and have strong analytical and communication skills.Stafford
Senior Tax ManagerThis leading accountancy firm is looking for an outstanding Senior Tax Manager to join their exceptional team in Shrewsbury. You will manage an allocated client portfolio ensuring quality in accordance with Tax Standards, delivering in line with budgetary expectations. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA/ACCA/CA or& CTA qualified. You’ll already have extensive experience of working within an accountancy practice in a tax-based role, as well as demonstrable people management skills.Shrewsbury
Audit SeniorThis leading accountancy firm is looking for an Audit Senior to join their team in Shrewsbury. You will support the delivery of audit and assurance assignments in accordance with International Standards on Auditing (UK and Ireland), budgeted expectations and firms’ procedures. Our client is offering the successful candidate a full development programme, as well as ample room for progression and learning. They also provide formal coaching and fully funded CPD courses. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA/ACCA/ or CA qualified. You’ll already have experience of working within audit in an accountancy practice, as well as demonstrable people management skills.Shrewsbury
Client ManagerThis exciting opportunity is for a Client Manager to join this progressive accountancy firm. This is a pivotal role in the practice acting as a conduit between the Partners and wider staff, managing staff, client portfolios and workflows. What are we looking for? You’ll be ACA, ACCA, CA qualified or qualified by experience. You’ll also already have experience of working in an accountancy practice, as well as excellent communication skills and a real passion for the delivery of excellence. As a Client Manager you will have regular contact with clients, providing a range of general accountancy services to a diverse portfolio of individuals and businesses of all sizes and structures. You’ll also need to be technically excellent with close attention to detail and have a can-do attitude to problem-solving.Hertfordshire
BookkeeperThis independent, advisory led practice, with a dedicated team who work on a wide and diverse client portfolio, is looking for a Bookkeeper to join their successful team in Leicestershire. What are we looking for? You’ll already have some experience working within an accountancy practice, especially around compliance. You will also have good analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as being able to work as part of team.Leicestershire
PartnerThis truly exciting opportunity is for a Partner to join this progressive accountancy firm. This is a key role in the practice and there will also be a clearly defined career route for the successful individual to progress to Equity Partner. What are we looking for? You should be ACA, ACCA or CA qualified, as well as able to demonstrate significant experience and a proven track record of managing and developing a diverse client portfolio. This role is suited to a real go-getter and someone who can make things happen, with a proactive approach. Our client is also looking for an individual who is highly motivated and driven, with the skills to be able to lead and inspire their teams.Hertfordshire
Candidates - a career in Accounts in the South West
To be successful in Accounts, you’ll need a good combination of interpersonal skills and a sharp eye for detail. You’ll also need to be reasonably computer literate.
As an Accounts Assistant
You’ll be providing admin support to accountants, undertaking clerical tasks such as
- making phone calls
- handling mail
- basic bookkeeping
- helping to keep the office running smoothly
- dealing with customers and external agencies
Accounts assistants are usually expected to be in work during typical daytime office hours.
Working as part of a team within a business environment, you’ll be full or part-time and your contract could be permanent or temporary, depending on the specific vacancy you go for. You may have to travel too.
Take advantage of offers of training and you may find promotion opportunities come your way. The next step on the career ladder would be as …
The typical qualities of a successful Assistant Accountant include
- part-qualified AAT –
- excellent Excel skills
- the ability to be diplomatic and discrete
- a pro-active approach and the ability to focus on system and reporting improvements
- payroll experience
- experience in preparation of statutory and balance sheet accounts
Your duties might include
- monthly management account preparation
- production of profit and loss statements
- to complete and maintain sales invoices and reports
- accruals & prepayments
- assisting in the preparation of statutory accounts for review
- bank reconciliation, posting and balancing
- weekly wages, petty cash and other journal posting
- quarterly VAT return preparation
Accountants go through a rigorous qualification and recruitment process. Employers generally look for graduates and school leavers who are
- able to reflect on their own work, as well as the wider consequences of financial decisions
- genuinely interested in business and possess a degree of business acumen
- organised and can manage deadlines
- good in a team
- skilled communicators and have good interpersonal skills
- proficient in IT
- able to be analytical
- methodical in their approach and have proven problem-solving skills
- highly numerate
What exactly does an Accountant do?
An Accountant provides financial advice to clients. These clients could range from solo professionals to multinational organisations or any scale of business in between.
Accountants frequently specialise in specific areas of practice
- management consultancy
- forensic accountancy
- corporate finance
A general overview of the role of an Accountant
- preparing accounts and tax returns
- administering payrolls and controlling income and expenditure
- auditing financial information
- compiling and presenting reports, budgets, business plans, commentaries and financial statements
- analysing accounts and business plans
- providing tax planning services with reference to current legislation
- financial forecasting and risk analysis
- dealing with insolvency cases
- negotiating the terms of business deals and moves with clients and associated organisations
- meeting and interviewing clients
- managing colleagues, workloads and deadlines.
“Garry was really helpful from the very start. He was able to organise numerous interviews in quick succession, his communication was faultless, and he managed to sort all the queries I had, no matter how minor. He managed to arrange for my study debt to be paid off and I couldn’t have asked for anything more. I would recommend Public Practice Recruitment Ltd!”
“I have worked with Garry over the last 9 years during which he has helped me with strategic job moves which have seen my career progress from Tax Advisor to Tax Director. I have always found Garry’s market knowledge and career advice to be exceptional. I cannot recommend Garry and Public Practice Recruitment Ltd highly enough as they really are experts in their field.”
“Garry and Public Practice Recruitment Ltd have great connections and contacts throughout accountancy firms across the UK. This means that they can match the needs of both the firms and candidates rather than just dealing with volumes. Garry is great to discuss matters with and is honest and open with his knowledge and opinions and keeps up to date with developments across the profession. I would highly recommend him and his business to both candidates and firms.”
Accountant Jobs and Careers in the South West
with the South West Accountancy Recruitment specialist
With our long-established track record of success, we’ll find the right Accountancy Job in the South West to match your career aspirations perfectly.
Our database holds thousands of accountancy candidates from throughout the South West. If we can’t find a suitable candidate amongst them, we’ll go out and recruit – secure in the knowledge that we’ll soon fill your Accountancy vacancy with a great candidate.
We’ve helped dozens of South West Accountancy Practices to find the finest accountancy candidates. If your Practice has traditionally struggled to recruit accountants, we’ll soon help you to become the accountancy firm of choice in your corner of the South West.
Challenge us to find the perfect Accountancy Job in the South West for you.
See how we can find the perfect Accountancy candidate for your Practice.