Dream big and achieve great things.
As children, when somebody asked us what we’d like to be when we grew up, we could usually come up with at least one passion. The explorer, the pop star, the astronaut. We didn’t limit our dreams. We just thought how great it would be to do something. And naturally, as we grew older, our dreams changed – just as we did. But to an extent, even as young adults, we’d think “I want to do something great with my life.” Somehow, somewhere along the way, we tell ourselves that we can’t do certain things, go to those places, be that person. Either because of our upbringing, our qualifications or our beliefs about our own ability.
January 13th is Make Your Dreams Come True Day, and we think it would be a great idea to think about our dreams – just as we did as children. Ignore the self-limiting beliefs, safe options and fear, and think big!
Why dreamers are more successful
Walt Disney once said. “All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.” And while becoming an explorer, pop star or astronaut may come with some quite specific talents – as an adult, what’s to say our dreams have to remain a wild fantasy? Seriously, just because something goes against the grain, people around us think we’re silly or it’s just not what people do.
Being a dreamer simply means that you aren’t limited by beliefs. You don’t allow fear to hold you back. Yes, you understand that if you want something badly that you have to work hard for it, and there’s a long road ahead. But you never have to work on your passion – it’s always there within you. You only have to focus on the goals that get you there.
When you’re a dreamer, anything is possible.
You know you’re a dreamer when…
You don’t suffer mediocracy – as soon as you sense comfort and routine, you are compelled to change, move, seek, improve.
Every moment is a gift – the world is a wondrous thing to you and you appreciate the small stuff.
You start a lot of things but don’t always finish them – you don’t like system or repetition, you chase new ideas and leap to the next level.
You get frustrated…a lot – you can’t understand why others drag their feet, can’t make decisions or make up “excuses”.
How to harness your dreams
It’s all very well having a dream – such as an exciting career, travelling the world, writing a book or having a dream home. But how can you become a doer? How can you make your dreams come true?
- Write down your goals, outline the steps you need to take and give yourself a deadline. And most importantly, take action.
- Surround yourself with people who are encouraging and supportive and share your dreams with them. Perhaps having a mentor, or meeting with someone who has achieved your dream already will help?
- Develop good habits such as a healthy diet and plenty of sleep. This will give you stamina and help you stay focused – making it much easier to reach your goals
- Reflect on your goals and your plan regularly – does anything need adjusting or resetting? Being a dreamer means that change, and even failure, aren’t negative things. You can easily reset your goals.
- Believe that your dreams will come true and don’t allow yourself to become overwhelmed. You could become a best-selling author by writing as little as 500 words a day. But make a start …today!
And if a dream job is your goal, that’s where we can help. We’d be delighted to talk to you about your career wish list.
As specialist accountancy recruiters, we know how candidates think – how their minds work. When it comes to all aspects of the accountant recruitment process, we’re the experts – always here to help.
Call 0333 577 7787