Calling all accountants!
Thursday August 6th 2020 is the 9th Cycle to Work Day, and we’d like to help you take part by offering you some inspiration, practical advice and also some amazing tips for making the change from four wheels to two!
First of all, 5 reasons you NEED to do this:
- This year, you’re being asked to ride anywhere – not just to work…so there’s no excuses!
- You’ve been stuck inside for months – wouldn’t you love to take a peaceful ride…alone, and to feel the wind through your hair?!
- You could save thousands of pounds by a) getting a brand-new bike through the Cyclecheme and b) not using your car and all of the petrol it chugs.
- Cycling makes you happy. Studies show that cycling lowers blood pressure, boosts energy, reduces anxiety and aids sleep.
- The link between COVID-19 suffering and BMI is well documented and anything we can all do to keep extra weight at bay is a good thing. You know what we’re talking about….. lockdown pounds…enough said.
Cycle to Work Day has been hugely popular over the years – within the UK and all over the world. As the UK’s biggest one-day commuting event, this year is set to be the biggest yet. The global pandemic has helped spark light-bulb moments – we’ve realised that ditching the normal commute and taking better care of our bodies and minds has many benefits. It’s thought that that numbers of cyclists taking part – of all types, will be higher than ever before. So, don’t miss out!
How to join in:
If you don’t have a bike, borrow one! Or hire a bike from Santander. And if you have one lurking in the garage or shed, show it some love with a dust down and a shiny new bell!
Sync up your usual tracker or track it with Love to Ride.
Share your smug face everywhere you can with the hashtag #cycletoworkday
Reward yourself with a special treat and wait to see if you’ve won a prize by checking the app.
“We’re supporting #cycletoworkday and will be cheering everybody on this Thursday! It’s a great way for accountancy firms to support their employees to keep fit and well. If your employer doesn’t know about it, there’s loads of information at – http://www.cycletoworkday.org/employers …. give them a nudge today!”
Garry Howling, Public Practice Accountants Ltd
And finally, here are 10 things to do before you set off…
- Pump your tyres to the right pressure and adjust your saddle height
- Wear a helmet – THE most important thing you can do.
- Slip on some padded shorts – trust us you won’t regret it!
- Take some water with you, and some food – we’re talking a banana rather than a full-on picnic!
- Wear a good pair of cycling gloves – they make all the difference to your comfort.
- Make sure your lights are working and you have reflective clothing if it’s dark.
- If you’re new to this, start off small. Plan a short trip and pedal at a steady rhythm. You can build up your speed and distance over time.
- If you’re nervous, take a friend along for the ride.
- Aim for a confident position on the road – a good 1 metre from the kerb and use the carriageway with a steady and consistent road position.
- Wear layers so you can cool down or warm up as needed.
Good luck to everybody on Thursday. The weather looks perfect for it. Have fun and stay safe.
Why not Tweet us a selfie at https://twitter.com/Public_PRLTD