6 ways for accountants to boost their CV – with free CPD
“Develop a passion for learning. If you do, you will never cease to grow.”
Anthony J. D’Angelo
Continued Professional Development (CPD) doesn’t have to involve expensive, stuffy, structured seminars with hours of travelling and a sense of dread before you even arrive! It’s no wonder CPD isn’t top of your agenda – even though it may be a requirement.
But the fact is that CPD gives you confidence and credibility, creates satisfaction in your current role, promotes self-fulfillment and can help you land that dream job. Studies also show that any kind of learning can improve mental health.
The trick is to invest regularly in CPD – have a routine, use a variety of sources and make it work for you and your learning preferences.
With that in mind, here are our speedy suggestions for refreshing your knowledge, keeping up to date and boosting your CV- with free CPD.
- Online courses – All of these courses can be completed online within an hour, and are aimed specifically at accountants who want to develop new skills or prepare for a new job.
- Podcasts – There are so many to choose from, but here’s a weekly 30 minute fix called Go Beyond Disruption from the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants.
- Live webinars – ACCA have a great programme of free webinars which last around an hour. February’s topics include ‘Interview skills for accountants’ and ‘Future ready: accountancy careers in the 2020s’.
- Magazines and articles – AB magazine provides a good dose of CPD. It’s published 10 times a year and is free to read online. AB also publish technical articles which can contribute to your verifiable CPD. Here are their 2020 articles to get stuck into straight away .
- Books – If you’re a member of the ICAEW or an ACA student. you’ll have access to 600 ebooks and the option to borrow books free of charge – you simply pay the return postage.
- Social media – Chances are you’re probably bumping up the CPD points without even knowing it. Facebooks Lives are a great way to watch experts discuss industry topics.
So, there’s no excuses. You can do most of these in your lunch hour, on your journey to work or whilst relaxing on the sofa! Typically, 1 CPD hour of learning equals 1 CPD point. Why don’t you challenge yourself to achieving 1 point every week, to begin with? Just remember to record your CPD in your professional portfolio.
We know how candidates think – how their minds work. When it comes to all aspects of the accountant recruitment process, we’re the experts – always here to help.
Call 0333 577 7787